Monday, December 13, 2010

The End

Well.
Here we are.
Or should I say "Here I am"?

Either way, it's the end of the semester.
The last day of class, the last blog post for Drawing 1 that I will ever write.
Just like that.
And after putting myself through this first semester, can I say that it was worth it?

I think I can.
It wasn't easy, but I learned some really important lessons.
About drawing, about life.

Pretty key I think is time management.
It's not perfect, but the improvement is pretty significant.
I've learned to pick projects that I can handle within the time limit, both in class and out.
My perfectionism is slowly being weeded out.
Perfectionism isn't inherently bad, but I've let it hold me back.

More specific to drawing, I've learned to be much more conscious about my use of line.
Line can be emotive.
Line can create volumes.
Line can create value.
And the importance of perspective (I've never worked with formal perspective before).

One thing I would have liked in the class is more freedom in homework assignments, which might have generated and held my interest more, and more emphasis on the sketchbook, a discipline which I feel is sometimes more valuable than the number of finished large drawings we were required to complete.

All in all, I appreciate Drawing 1 for what it has taught me. But would I repeat it if I had to?

Hell no.

No comments:

Post a Comment